The Public Education Information Management System (PEIMS) encompasses all data requested and received by TEA about public education, including student demographic and academic performance, personnel, financial, and organizational information.
The data collected through the PEIMS electronic collection method has:
- A standard set of definitions, codes, formats, procedures and dates for the collection of data published as the PEIMS Data Standards;
- Standard edit procedures;
- An established database design;
- A production system to format and load data into the TEA enterprise database; and
- Written documentation describing the numeric and alphanumeric values stored in the database published as the Data Documentation.
For the PEIMS electronic collection, school districts submit their data via standardized computer files, as defined by the PEIMS Data Standards.
Technical support for gathering the data from district databases is supplied by one of the twenty educational service centers (ESCs) or by private vendors. A software system of standard edits, to enhance the quality of data, is used by ESCs and again by the agency on district data submissions. Currently, the major categories of data collected are: organization data; budget data; actual financial data; staff data; student demographic, program participation and school leaver data; student attendance, course completion and discipline data.
TEA manages other collections for evaluation, monitoring, funding, or auditing purposes. Many are automated, electronic collections.
In compliance with the Texas Education Code, the Public Education Information Management System (PEIMS) contains only the data necessary for the legislature and the Texas Education Agency (TEA) to perform their legally authorized functions in overseeing public education.
For information or assistance
District PEIMS Coordinator